June is Country Cooking Month so this month, I am going to try to cook as many dishes I have not done before or have not cooked in a long time.
Country cooking month means something different to everyone. For example, for some people it means cooking food from your home country, to others cooking food yourself from other countries and more. For me, it’s simply attempting to cook new dishes of various cuisines.
This Friday just gone I had been craving pizza but instead of Dominos, Pizza Hut or Pizza Express I decided to try to make it myself and I think I did a pretty good job. It was so much fun to try something new too! To make this you will need:
- 250g Plain Flour/All purpose flour/Bread Flour (I used plain flower)
- 1 Sachet of yeast
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Teaspoon of sugar or sweetener
- 1 Teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 Cups of warm water
- Olive oil
- Rolling pin
- Pizza tray
- Cheese of any kind (I used cheddar)
- 1 or 2 Onions
- Chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
- 1 Teaspoon of basil
- 1 Teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 3 Teaspoons of olive oil
Pizza Base Method
- Pour the warm water into a mixing bowl followed by the yeast and wait 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve into the water. The water should turn cloudy.
- Put the flower, salt, sugar/sweetener, olive oil into the bowl and mix thoroughly with an electric whisk. If you do not have an electric whisk, mix by hand with a wooden spoon or something else appropriate.
- Once it is all mixed together you should have one large dough ball. It may be a little wet. If this is the case add more flour and continue to mix all together.
- When the dough is dry coat in olive oil and leave for one hour.
- Heat up frying pan on a low heat, with olive oil in it and add one finely chopped onions. Cook until soft.
- Whilst the onions are frying add the basil and mixed herbs. (Add any herb or spice you prefer or like)
- When the onions are soft add the tomatoes and cook down.
Pizza and Sauce Method
- Take some of the dough and and roll flat with the rolling pin. Once flat, shape into a circle or whatever shape you want.
- Roll the edges slightly (if you want crust).
- Add sauce to the pizza along with cheese and toppings of your choice. I used beef the first time.
- When all of your toppings are added, put into the over for 15-25 minutes depending on how you prefer you texture. I like mine crunchy so I left it in for 25.
- Enjoy your pizza!